So, you’ve made your New Year’s resolutions and you’re ready to drop weight and get healthy! Got your shopping list in hand? Let’s hit the aisles!
Here are a few of my favorite places to shop for healthy, organic food.
1. TRADER JOE’S has THE #1 spot on my list! Price, quality, and selection are incredible – while keeping it small and personal. There’s hardly ANY thing I DON’T like about this place!
What began in the 1958 as a small chain of convenience stores called Pronto Markets transitioned in ‘67, after their founder, the original Trader Joe, changed their name (yes, to Trader Joe’s) and the way they do business.
They made the stores bigger (if you can imagine), decked the walls with cedar planks and donned their crew in cool Hawaiian shirts. Most importantly, they started packaging innovative, hard-to-find, great-tasting foods under the “Trader Joe’s” name. That cut their costs and saved their customers money. Still does. And that’s important, because “Value” is a concept they take very seriously. And by ‘Value,’ they mean great everyday prices on all of their great products — no sales, no gimmicks, no clubs to join, no special cards to swipe…
I almost always pick up their newsletter, the “Fearless Flyer” with specials of the season and great ways to use them. How do they do it? Read for yourself.
They just KNOW how to do it RIGHT ~ EVERY time!
Check out the store locator– there’s probably one near you!
2. THE FRESH MARKET comes in a close 2nd on my list. This place OOZES ambiance! It makes you think of a quaint European market. At The Fresh Market, they aren’t just a store. They’re members of the community – supporting local producers, growers and fisherman. They support local food banks and charities ~ neighbors serving neighbors. The Fresh Market happens to be closer to my house than my #1 pick, so I depend on getting my organic selection there. Just be prepared to pay a little more!
3. WHOLE FOODS is the granddaddy of them all. Much larger than either #1 or #2, it has an amazing selection. Not as close to my house as #2, but closer than #1. Offering a vast variety of all food groups, and, those hard-to-find items that health buffs search the world to find. You’re sure to find it at Whole Foods.
4. SPROUTS FARMERS MARKET is the new kid on the block – at least in my neighborhood. Their motto is “Healthy Living for Less.”
According to their website they have “an impeccable eye for what’s next in nutrition. A continuous drive to go the extra mile. Sprouts Farmers Market works to deliver the best possible shopping experience, helping customers live a healthy lifestyle at an affordable price—not just buy groceries. Sprouts is a healthy grocery store offering fresh, natural and organic foods at great prices. Since 2002, they’ve been committed to providing their customers with the best-in-class service—and to improving it every day.”
……..ONLY IN THE ATL (Atlanta, GA)
5. Experience the world in a grocery cart when you step in the doors of Your Dekalb Farmers Market. Be prepared to see EVERY nationality as you shop for fresh, organic, and unusual. An entire section devoted to ANY kind of seafood from around the globe. Then there’s the poultry and red meat section – with steroid free and grass/green fed options. And dairy! And bread! And the breads/bakery. This place is HUGE – and they ONLY take DEBIT or CASH! Oh, and remember – BE SURE to get a shopping cart BEFORE you go in!!
It all began on June 2nd, 1977 as a small 7,500 sq. ft. produce stand in Decatur, Georgia. Since that humble beginning, it has grown into a 140,000 sq. ft. true world market serving up to 100,000 people per week. Every trip is truly an international experience!
6. Lizzie’s Pantry opened in January 2014 and has focused on providing premium food products that won’t harm you or your budget. Customers enjoy the highest grade NO-GMO, Chemical Free, All Natural Ingredients for cooking and baking.
You will find a wide range of organic and NO-GMO grains, flour, sweeteners, vinegar, oils, and more. Add an amazing line of fresh, all-natural spices and organic snacks for an easy way to start eating clean healthy food.
Their focus is on the highest standards of quality and service provides you with the knowledge that you can enjoy tasty meals without killing your budget. You no longer need to sacrifice your health for your budget.